Plot Profile Strategy
Objective: To analyze the events in a story in order to identify the rising action, climax, and falling action by sequencing events and plotting the appropriate impact of each event onto a line graph.
1. Read a story with the whole class that has many events.
2. Brainstorm with the class the 10 most important events.
3. Write these events on the board.
4. Sequence the events by asking the class to identify the order events, writing the number beside each event.
5. Write the events in order on the Plot Profile.
6. Have the class decide the importance of each event based on the criteria on the Plot Profile.
7. “Connect the Dots” of the line graph.
8. Point out rising action, climax, and falling action.
This should work out pretty closely. This is a great way to review a good read aloud or a novel after completion. Complete with the class as a whole group a few times before letting them go with it alone or in groups.
This is a great graphic organizer for writing a summary as well.